Nokomis is a town in Oneida County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,371 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 37.0 square miles (95.8 km2), of which 33.4 square miles (86.5 km2) is land and 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2) (9.76%) is water.
The population in Nokomis is 1,374. There are 42 people per square mile aka population density. The median age in Nokomis is 48.4, the US median age is 37.4. The number of people per household in Nokomis is 2.4, the US average of people per household is 2.6.
Family in Nokomis
- 60.0% are married
- 7.2% are divorced
- 28.1% are married with children
- 4.3% have children, but are single
Race in Nokomis
- 97.6% are white
- 0.6% are black
- 0.4% are asian
- 0.4% are native american
- 0.0% claim Other
- 0.0% claim Hispanic Ethnicity
- 1.1% Two or More Races
- 0.0% Hawaiian, Pacific Islander
There were 556 households, of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.2% were married couples living together, 5.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.77.
22.7% of the population were under the age of 18, 3.7% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.2 males.
The median household income was $43,000 and the median family income was $47,813. Males had a median income of $36,563 and females $22,446. The per capita income was $19,171. About 4.8% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.0% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those age 65 or over.
The Rhinelander-Oneida County Airport (KRHI) serves Nokomis, the county and surrounding communities with both scheduled commercial jet service and general aviation services.
Crescent School, part of the Rhinelander School District, is located in the town on Boyce Drive. There are James Williams Middle School
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Nokomis:
- Northcentral Technical College (about 42 miles; Wausau, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,356)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 74 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- Mid-State Technical College (about 83 miles; Wisconsin Rapids, WI; FT enrollment: 2,128)
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (about 102 miles; Eau Claire, WI; FT enrollment: 10,143)
- Chippewa Valley Technical College (about 103 miles; Eau Claire, WI; FT enrollment: 4,038)
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 107 miles; Shell Lake, WI; FT enrollment: 2,414)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 108 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
Aspirus Rhinelander Hospital, Marshfield Clinic in Minocqua and Howard Young Medical Center in Woodruff are the nearest medical facilities.
Hospitals and medical centers near Nokomis:
- SACRED HEART HSPTL Critical Access Hospitals (about 7 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-RIVERVIEW (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- SACRED HEART HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 8 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-GOLDEN AGE (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- MINISTRY HM CR HH RHINELANDER (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; RHINELANDER, WI)
- FRIENDLY VILLAGE (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; RHINELANDER, WI)
- FRIENDLY VILLAGE NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; RHINELANDER, WI)
Outdoor Points of Interest
Deer Trail. The Deer Trail is located in Oneida County, Wisconsin, United States. The place is catalogued as Locale by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names and its elevation above sea level is equal to 1519ft. (463mt.) There are 315 places (city, towns, hamlets …) within a radius of 100 kilometers / 62 miles from the center of Deer Trail (WI), the nearest place in the area is Nokomis, wisconsin.
Notable locations in Nokomis: Deer Trail, McKays Spur, Nokomis Townhall, Nokomis Volunteer Fire Department, Nokomis Volunteer Fire Department Station 2
Great Lakes or Chains
Lake Nokomis is part of Rice Reservoir which is the largest body of water in the county, so large in fact that it extends into bordering Lincoln County. Its beautiful water combines with the Northwoods wilderness to make Lake Nokomis a destination where you are sure to want to “linger longer.”
Lake Nokomis is considered a Class A1 musky lake with lots of big fish to challenge anglers. There are also healthy populations of walleye, crappie, northern pike, pan fish and bass. There is plenty of room on Lake Nokomis for boating and water skiing and jet skiing are also popular. There are several public boat launches and places to get bait and provisions along with boat rentals. There are also several restaurants and bars on the water that are accessible by boat. Quiet boaters can explore the islands in Lake Nokomis or the floating bogs which can grow to over an acre.
Lake Nokomis is a 2274 acre lake located in Lincoln, Oneida Counties. It has a maximum depth of 33 feet. Visitors have access to the lake from public boat landings. Fish include Musky, Panfish, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike and Walleye.
Swamp Lake. Swamp Lake is a 293 acre lake located in Oneida County. It has a maximum depth of 8 feet. Visitors have access to the lake from a public boat landing. Fish include Panfish, Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike and Walleye.
Prairie Lake. Prairie Lake is a 59 acre lake located in Oneida County. It has a maximum depth of 10 feet. Fish include Panfish, Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike and Walleye.
Rice River Flowage*(Nokomis) is a 764 acre lake located in Oneida, Lincoln Counties. It has a maximum depth of 26 feet. Visitors have access to the lake from a public boat landing. Fish include Musky, Panfish, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike and Walleye.
Art Centers, Community Centers, and ETC
The Town Hall and offices are located at 2541 Lake Nokomis Road.
The Town Board meets the second Monday of every month. Notice of meetings and agendas are posted at The Tilted Loon, Sattler’s Landing, and at the Town Hall.
PRE-COVID AVERAGE PRICE AND POST-COVID AVERAGE PRICE
Pre-Covid Ave Price Sold: $213,924.35
Post-Covid Ave Price Sold: $339,659.39